The US Environmental Protection Agency has a search tool you can use to select the right mosquito repellent for you. You may want to select a different product for your child, or for a location that you know has a lot of mosquitoes, or for an event that will last all day.
- insect (mosquito, tick, or both)
- protection time,
- active ingredient, or
- other product-specific information.
- Do you need protection from mosquitoes, ticks or both?
- How long will you be exposed to them? Be sure to use a product with a protection time that fits your activity.
For the safe and effective use of pesticide products, always read the product label before using the product. More about safe use of insect repellents.
- The results from the search tool include only skin-applied insect repellent products registered by EPA. No unregistered products are listed.
- The registration number means the company provided EPA with technical information on the safety of the product and its effectiveness against mosquitoes and/or ticks. While this technical information is based on scientific testing guidelines and approved study methods, there are variations in the resulting protection times because of differences in the testing conditions.
- A single registered insect repellent product may have multiple product names that a company may use for marketing purposes. You can look for the registration number of repellents products you buy and check them against this database.
- Some of the products listed may not be available in all areas of the United States.
- Any products listed are for informational purposes only. Inclusion of a product listed/referenced is not an endorsement.
- EPA and the U.S. Government do not endorse any product or service.
- The information in this database was last updated in February 2016.
- If you believe a product not on the list should be included, use the contact us link to request that the product be added.